Everyone wants and loves to stay warm in winter – to survive the cutting cold, pests do too. However, many homeowners overlook the fact that a cozy and warm home in winter can be the perfect home for different sorts of pests. This is worrisome, because pests only multiply fast naturally. To keep these little devils out of your home this winter, use these tips:
1. Airtight Containers: use plastic bags or boxes to cover and pack edibles and other household items. It is advisable not to use paper bags as they are one of the comfortable hideouts for pests; they can easily penetrate.
2. Don’t Litter: litter, garbage, food scraps, etc are food for pests. These things attract pests very easily. Therefore, make sure you dispose off your trash properly; seal the garbage bags tightly. Keep the bags outside of your home, so even if a pests wants to make way to your home, it stops right outside your home and goes to the garbage can.
3. Clean Cabinets: the cabinets in your home, especially those in the kitchen, are prone to pests and their eggs breeding there. To prevent pests from entering your cabinets and then breeding on your utensils, clean the cabinets regularly. Use pest sprays in empty cabinets. Let the spray dry and then place the utensils inside.
4. Clear the Clutter: Bugs love clutter. Clutter attracts them just like honey attracts flies. These bugs usually infest in unhygienic places. Old furniture, unclean bed linens, dirty kitchens and unclean bathrooms are their favorite places. Keep your home clean and clutter free if you don’t want to see any pests in your home.
5. Mesh Screens: cover your chimney vents, windows and other potential openings with mesh. This keeps pests from penetrating into your home. Also, you can put mesh screens on your plants to prevent snow from totally blocking their respiratory system.
6. Clean Pets: pets usually go about inside and outside the home, where they can attract germs and other bacteria. Bugs love germs and bacteria, which is why you need to keep your pet and our pets resting place clean. Keep your pets’ utensils clean, their food packed and clipped tightly to prevent any pests from infiltrating the food.
7. Touch up the Cracks: look for any possible cracks and holes in the corners of your home. Pests usually take this route and enter from tiny cracks and holes. Make sure to touch up and regularly fix the cracks in the walls of your home. Also make sure pipes aren’t too moisturized as they attract creepy crawly pests that eventually land inside your home.
8. Pest Professional: In spite of all your home remedies and alternative methods, if pests still prevent from infiltrating your home, call a professional pest controller. A pest professional can give you free inspection and solve your pest problem at affordable prices in an effective manner.
These tips are great to keep pests out of your home at all times, and not necessarily just winters. Use these tips and you will be able to keep all sorts of termites, bugs, pests and unwanted visitors out of your home.